There is an ever-growing need for doctors in the modern world and with a significant number of student nurses and doctors on the rise, you might be considering looking for a reliable stethoscope that isolates sound effectively.
These are some of our top picks for the best stethoscope that will help, especially if you are hard of hearing. Hearing can be damaged in many ways, including age-related, ear wax, and a whole range of other reasons that play a role in affecting your hearing quality.
The ear is a complex mechanism that is divided into three main areas; the outer ear which is the fleshy external part we pierce, the middle ear, and the inner ear. The main area where the hearing loss occurs is between the middle and inner ear.
Microscopic hair cells within these structures can easily become damaged through excessive noise exposure or with general wear and tear. This is usually known as age-related hearing loss or presbycusis.
The inner ear is damaged and not able to pick up signals from external sources. Over-stimulation can also cause this, which is why more young people are losing their hearing from listening to music at high volumes through headphones.
Another hearing impairment that can become prevalent is cochlear hearing loss. This tends to be a result of other infections or genetic abnormalities. As a result, individuals usually grow up using corrective devices to enable better hearing and tend to go on to live normal lives.
Another significant external factor that can affect hearing is impacted wax or other foreign bodies hidden within the ear canal. Although this is less common, wax can create a pressure seal in front of the eardrum, which causes significant hearing loss.
If you think you might be experiencing earwax-related hearing loss, consult your doctor before inserting anything because it can cause more damage than if left alone. Auditory processing disorder is another global problem within the brain’s hearing center.
All of these issues that can lead to hearing loss are likely to affect your requirements for stethoscope use. If you work in the medical field, being hard of hearing shouldn’t be something that limits you. Stethoscopes have a small diaphragm that is usually made from thin latex, which vibrates when it picks up sound waves which cause a chain reaction.
This is the basic mechanism behind how they work, and we have assessed some highest-rating stethoscopes which are designed for those who are hard of hearing. We’ve looked at noise isolation, sound amplification, and the role of acoustic vs electric items to compare what would be the best product for you.
If you are looking to get the latest technology that offers a more immersive experience, there are even some digital stethoscopes on the market. These will offer you a plethora of settings and additional features such as smartphone compatibility.
They work by converting acoustic sounds into electronic signals which can be amplified for a crisper and clearer quality of sound that can then be fed directly into your hearing aid or cochlear implant.
Digital stethoscopes could be the way forward for those who are hard of hearing because they are somewhat more accessible than analog, and needless minimum input than an analog stethoscope reading.
Put simply, stethoscopes consist of two essential parts; the diaphragm which is placed on a patient’s chest, the earpieces which are inserted by the doctor or examiner, and the connecting mechanism.
The nature of a stethoscope is relatively traditional and hasn’t changed much throughout history. That said, some more modern designs are certainly coming to fruition. zTechnology is coming into the light for hearing assistance, and the advantage of newly designed stethoscopes is the air pressure seal which is now achievable in order to generate accurate measurements, and blood pressure readings.
OUR TOP PICK
OUR TOP PICK
Firstly, more of a digital, modern display is the Cardionics E-Scope 7700 with helpful sound isolation and amplification for those who need additional support.
This is also great for people who work within the medical field who don’t particularly have a hearing impairment because it is very accessible. This can be used with or without hearing aids.
- Different attachments are available and a USB output jack is located on the side, this could be great for those using hearing amplifiers as it can be plugged in.
- Automatic volume restart remembers the last noise level and adjusts accordingly
- AAA battery is needed, but not included in the initial purchase
- Automatic shut-off to save battery life might not be the most practical in a fast-paced ER. Doctors are notoriously on the go and need to see a lot of patients’ within a short period of time as a matter of life or death. In some cases, the role of a stethoscope providing ease of baseline measurements can mean more efficient patient reviews
Next is a stethoscope designed for sound isolation and uses soft silicone tips for additional comfort. Customers have praised this product highly, and it isn’t difficult to see why. With modern design and adjustable settings, the MDF Acoustica is essential for every medical student.
- Lifetime guarantee, meaning you are bound to get your money’s worth over time and are also guaranteed a quality product
- Lightweight, streamlined design which is perfect for the busy modern medic
- Designed with comfort in mind and there are several size options to choose from
- Hearing aids need to be removed to experience the benefits of this design. This might seem counter-intuitive, but it is designed to form a seal within the ear canal and that cannot be achieved without removing any hearing tubes that are already attached.
The ADC 600ST is another lightweight set with anodized aluminum binaurals and earpieces designed with pressure seals in mind, which is what isolates a sound signal and allows us to focus on one primary input.
Available in multiple color options and designed with your hearing in mind, this is a firm favorite. You can really make this a staple with a lot of personalities while still being within the guidelines of uniform.
- A lifetime guarantee makes this a perfect gift for someone who is interested in entering the medical field, or even for someone already employed as a nurse or doctor. Reliable warranties enable customers to replace parts such as earpieces while benefitting from the high-quality product for many years
- Sound isolation is achievable, and the acoustics are unmatched in quality, customer reviews praise the quality of the sound and isolation contributing to top recommendations all round
- Stainless-steel construction makes for both a lightweight and durable design
- Additional accessories available include professional-looking stethoscope tags, and ear insert replacements, this would be a great gift with the case and tags and would make the medic in your life feel professional and respected within their field
- Hearing aid users need to remove them before using them, attachments are available, but they are not included in the initial purchase. However, you should try testing it out without the attachments to see if you still need adaptors. Customer reviews praise the crisp and clean quality of the sound.
- Stainless steel is usually cold to the touch and can be jarring for both patients and you as a user alike, especially when working in a temperature-regulated environment
- Accessories are not included in the initial purchase, although they are available as a bundle-pack, case, and tags are sold separately and do not come with the product
Another noteworthy member of the Adscope family is the 615ST. The ADC - 615ST offers many benefits including a larger oversized ovoid chest piece which results in supreme acoustic performance, silicone reinforcing yoke molded into flexible phthalate-free PVC tubing for comfort, and an extra two sets of soft plus ear tips.
This product also comes with a lifetime guarantee, and along with its many glowing reviews seems to be a popular option.
- Lifetime guarantee, making this the perfect addition to any medic’s scrubs
- The tactical version is more compact and great to bring with you wherever you go, due to its lighter weight and slightly smaller design
- Great for hearing impairment- customers have highlighted this in their reviews, saying that others were envious of their scope and ability to make measuring heart rate look effortless.
- Fits in hip/belt carriers if you don’t like to have it around your neck on show or more open to the elements. This is perfect if you spend a lot of time on your feet and want to invest in something that you can take with you
- Several color options are made to last- find one the suits your personality and that will not fade over time as metal finishes might
- Comparable to the Littmann, the quality of the pressure seal achievable with this product is remarkable and is incredibly effective at isolating the sound of a patient’s pulse as well as making light work of blood pressure readings
- Unclear about tinnitus- this product remains untested for individuals who suffer from tinnitus and other similar conditions. If you suffer from tinnitus, make sure to carry out thorough research before investing in a piece of equipment such as this.
Dominating the stethoscope game is Littmann. The reputation exceeds the product itself, but it’s no wonder when looking at the many features of this stethoscope.
Both analog and digital settings are available with this product because there is an easy-to-use toggle setting.
It’s also great for pediatrics who want to keep young patients entertained because you can connect it to your phone and give them a visual guide on how their pulse is. We can see why the Littmann gets such a name for itself. An elite gift for the medic in your life.
- 40x amplification
- Tunable diaphragm- the end piece of the stethoscope is double-sided. This means that different settings are perfect for those who have a wide range of patients throughout the day.
- Smartphone compatibility means that you can easily capture, save, and annotate recordings on the secure dashboard.
- Customers have outlined the issue that the app involved is hard to use and needs some work. The development of this will not affect the product itself, however, which is the primary focus of the design
- Poor recording quality also comes down to the role that the app plays, and with more work put into that, this would be a perfect foolproof item for anyone wanting some auditory clarity and increased accuracy of readings and pulse measurements.
Single-Sided Stethoscope Buying Guide
If your hearing is localized to one side more than the other, then you might benefit from using a single-sided stethoscope.
One-sided damage to the hearing is very common and can be the result of the trauma of a virus that might have attacked the immune system and inner ear cells. If you have complete deafness in one ear, then it’s likely that hearing aids or cochlear implants don’t really do anything for you.
This is because these devices rely on there being some minuscule hair cells within the inner ear, being intact, in order to detect some level of sound vibration.
A single-sided stethoscope offers a solution to those wanting to invest in a reliable piece of medical equipment that is versatile and hard-wearing. It is essential that you find a method of checking patients’ heart rates effectively in order to provide reliable treatment and valid advice.
As well as relying on the better hearing baseline of your good ear, sing sided stethoscopes offer doctors and nurses the chance to isolate what they are hearing and compare it with something else. The role of multitasking in the medical field is essential.
This is why a lot of medical assistants, nurses, and doctors are experimenting with different pieces of equipment and finding what works best for them as an individual. Because everyone processes information slightly differently, it is crucial to find something that works for you and optimizes your speed as well as patient response.
Overall, the role that hearing plays in our lives is unmatched, and those who suffer from hearing impairment are likely to feel more isolated and excluded from society.
That is why it’s essential that we encourage people who are hard of hearing to pursue their careers in the medical field, and show them that there are products designed with them in mind.
Of all the five senses, hearing is one which we are heavily reliant on within the busy world that we live in. society can be highly demanding, which is why more people are opting to cancel the background noise around them using headphones.
The influence of background noise within a hospital can be monumental, from machines whirring to distant chatter. It is, therefore, essential to find a stethoscope with noise-canceling qualities that allow you to focus on a single sound source.
The great thing about these stethoscopes is that they focus on providing a pressure seal within the ear canal. This is crucial for sound isolation and also providing the most effective treatment for patients. You are also then able to optimize your time and see more patients during the day.
In terms of product quality and customer service experience, it is difficult to provide a single top recommendation. That is why we have outlined the key aspects of each product listed above and given you the power to make an informed decision.
The first thing to do before spending money is to do your own research and check the quality, strength, and location of your hearing loss if that is an issue for you.
Other assistive devices include sound amplifiers that are great for within a classroom environment. The user has two small speaker-style mechanisms that increase the volume of the speaker.
However, this would not be appropriate for a hospital setting because the background noise is also heightened. There is no option for isolating a sound source, and it is therefore ineffective within situations that are dominated by background noise.
Hopefully, by now you have some rough ideas on which stethoscope would help you and what is best for your needs as an individual. Whether you want to experiment with equipment and find what works best for you, or if you’re after better sound isolation that will give you more accurate results, this guide has covered some basic concerns you might have when it comes to finding the perfect stethoscope for hard of hearing.
A stethoscope is a great addition to any aspiring medic’s bag. It is a piece of equipment that is widely used among doctors to measure heart rate and can even be used to check blood pressure.
This is a largely universal design with doctors, nurses, and student medics in mind. With many products having a lifetime guarantee, or at least three years’ warranty, a stethoscope is a great investment that you can be sure to rely on in your day-to-day profession and routine practice.